1869 - 1976 The Evelina Hospital for Sick Children in Southwark Baroness Evelina de Rothschild
Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild
Lady Superintendent Alice Cross
Dr Arthur Farre MD FRCP FRS This plaque celebrates the founding of the Evelina Children's Hospital, which was built on this site in 1869. It commemorates the work of the founder, planners, doctors, nurses and staff, and all the generous benefactors and supporters during the hospital's first 107 years.
The hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in memory of the early deaths of his wife, Evelina, and their baby son. The hospital was planned by Dr Arthur Farre, obstetrician to Evelina and the royal family.
The chosen site, Southsea Court in Southwark, was in one of the poorest districts of London, where children were stricken with disease, serious infections and undernourishment leading to many deaths. This new model hospital uplifted the spirit of the people, bringing to a deprived district the hope of fighting the ravages of childhood diseases.
In 1976 the Evelina moved to Guy's Tower, Southwark, to unite with Guy's Hospital Children's Department. The old Evelina building was demolished and the area was converted into Mint Street Park.
Mary Seacole Trust: This plaque is to honour those healthcare workers who have dedicated themselves to aiding others in times of war, conflict and catastrophe throughout history 8th September 2017
This building was provided through the generosity of Sir Howell J Williams D.L., J.P. a vice-president of the Royal Northern Hospital who represented Islington as one of its members on the London County Council for nearly thirty years. June 1931
Erected by the Governor of the Seamen's Hospital Society, the Port of London. In memory of John Lydekker, Esqr South Sea Ship Owner. Gratefully to record his munificent bequest to that institution. He died on the 23rd July 1832, and was buried in the North Vault of the Church of St Dionis, Backchurch, Fenchurch Street.
St. George's Hospital was established on this site in 1733 in a country home built in 1719 by James Lane, 2nd Viscount Lanesborough. In 1826 the trustees of St George's commissioned William Wilkins to design a new hospital. Wilkins was also the architect for the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square and University College This building was completed in the early 1830s. The hospital outgrew the site and moved to new buildings in Tooting, south west London, in 1980. This historic building has now been carefully restored during an extensive four year project (1988-1991) and transformed into a magnificent hotel which takes the name of the former Lanesborough House on this site. The main entrance to the Lanesborough is to be found on the Knighstbridge side of Hyde Park Corner facing Hyde Park.
St George’s Hospital was established on this site in 1733 in a country home built in 1719 by James Lane, 2nd Viscount Lanesborough. The hospital was located in the village of Knightsbridge due to the reputation for healthy country air. The three-storey red brick hospital was of simple design and wings were later added to the structure by architect Isaac Ware.St George’s Hospital quickly outgrew its original building and in 1826, the trustees commissioned William Wilkins to design a new hospital. Wilkins was also the architect for the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square and University College. Completed in the early 1830s, Wilkins' building was designed In the classical style from drawings by Nicholas Revett of the choragic monument to Thrassylus at the Acropolis, Athens. Many of the fathers of modern medicine studied, practiced and taught at St George’s Hospital and its medical school founded in 1831. Chief among these was John Hunter, the father of scientific surgery. Other well-known medical pioneers with careers at St George’s include Edward Jenner, a pioneer of immunology, Thomas Young, professor of natural philosophy to the Royal Institution and Henry Gray renowned for his comprehensive study of anatomy. During World War II, the entire hospital was given over to casualties of war. The hospital and those who worked there escaped injury due to the war with the exception of a thousand pound bomb that fell on the lecture theatre of the medical school, but fortunately failed to explode. The campaign to rebuild the hospital outside the centre of London began during World War II. During the 1950s, the hospital was offered a site in Tooting for the new St George’s Hospital and building began there in the 1970s. St George’s moved to its new buildings in Tooting South West London in 1980. This historic building has now been carefully restored during an extensive four-year project (1988-1991) and transformed into a magnificent hotel which takes the name of the former Lanesborough House on this site.
Church of St Thomas Apostle, (formerly St Thomas Martyr) Southwark, S.E.1. Parish church of St Thomas 1136-1862, which also served as the chapel of St Thomas's hospital 1215- 1862, rebuilt in 1703 by Thomas Cartwright & Son (sometime master masons to Christopher Wren).The roof space was used as the hospital's herb garret and from 1822 as its operating theatre. Rediscovered by Raymond Russell in 1956, the herb garret and operating theatre is now a museum supported by the Lord Brock Memorial Trust.